Saturday, January 1, 2011
Resolute [unwavering] in the Resolutions [a decision to do something]
Today, anything is possible. We can lose that twenty pounds that's been encircling our waists for the past five years; we can quit smoking cold turkey. We can get in shape [one that's not round], get better eating habits. We can start going to church. We can be a better friend, daughter, co-worker... we can just be better at this whirlwind of life.
Sure, it may be just a cheap day of reflection. Another dumb holiday our culture has created. And you may forget whatever stroke of brilliance you had on the Resolutions list by January 2... but I think there is real value in trying to better ourselves, reflecting on ways we can live an abundant life that Christ has called us to. After all, when did a little optimism ever kill anyone?
So for 2011, here's my list.
1. I'm going on a fruit/veggie diet for [at least] two weeks. Starting now. It's detox for marathon training. I think I may start dreaming in cheeseburgers, but it'll be worth it.
2. I'm also going to start a food journal, a good way to keep track of all the sugar-coated crap I shove down my throat. Another idea that I think will help with marathon training.
3. To go with #1 and 2, I want to be diligent in training this year. This will be my third marathon, and I want to give it everything I've got.
4. [Bet you saw this one coming...] I will run the OKC Memorial marathon in May. [I have a secret goal of qualifying for Boston.]
5. I will watch all the Star Wars movies... for the first time. Yeah, yeah, I know. That's why it's on the list -- to get you people off my back. ;)
6. Read all of Harry Potter books... for the first time. This will help boost my goal of reading over 50 books this year.
7. Read the entire New Testament.
8. Go skydiving.
9. Road trip to somewhere I have never been.
10. After graduation, work in publishing. I don't care where. Big girl job here I come.
I'm sure there is a lot more that I want to do in 2011, but here are some silly things that I want to specifically get done in the next 365 days. I'm excited about the upcoming chapter in my life.
What about you? Do you have some NY Resolutions?