Sunday, March 28, 2010

Laughter is the best medicine... or so the saying goes. Medicine makes me think of the some off brand, cherry-flavored cough syrup my mom used to put a on a spoon for me whenever I wasn't feeling well or the colorful capsules that my little sister had the hardest time swallowing. It doesn't exactly conjure up the happy thoughts that would make Peter Pan fly.

So why exactly do we say this? Is it because laughter requires no pricking, sticking, or shoving crap down our throats? "No pain, no gain" just doesn't apply? I think so. I mean think about it. When something makes you laugh, doesn't it just instantly make your heart glad? It may not "fix" your situation or "better" your crappy day, but for the moment... you feel happy. I would say that we do NOT laugh nearly as much as we should on a daily basis and if we did, I think our attitudes would be drastically different.
Life isn't always donuts and rainbows. Sometimes, actually, life is absolutely horrible. We don't always get what we want. Our boyfriends live far away. Our grades are slipping. We no longer fit into our "skinny" jeans... or our "fat" ones. We keep trying but life keeps shoving its fat rear-end in the way of our happiness. But we need to learn to laugh at ourselves, to throw our heads back and let out a chuckle. We need to realize that just about everything is going to go wrong at some point. People are going to disappoint and our plans may never pan out. But we can do something that can instantly make us feel better... Find the humor in the situation. Laugh at the crap. Trust me, it really works. I discovered just how true this is when I accidentally became a brunette this week (and I assure you it WAS an accident). If you don't believe me, try it. What's the worse that can happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment